While not required, cornbread cubes can be toasted by spreading on a baking sheet and placing in a 450° oven for 20 minutes, turning cubes halfway through baking.
Greens and Cornbread Salad
Makes 6 Servings
- 7 cups (1-inch) cubed stale cornbread
- 3 cups chopped stemmed
- fresh kale
- 3 cups chopped fresh beet greens
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1 cup halved assorted cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- Tangy Buttermilk Dressing (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, gently toss together cornbread cubes, kale, beet greens, arugula, tomatoes, and onion.
- Drizzle with Tangy Buttermilk Dressing; toss gently. Serve immediately.
Tangy Buttermilk Dressing
Makes 1 Cup
- ¾ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until combined. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.