The spicy and sweet drizzle on top of this chicken makes it next-level delicious.
Fried Chicken Thighs with Hot Honey
MAKES 4 TO 8 SERVINGS
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce, divided
- 3¼ teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
- 2¼ teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2¼ teaspoons onion powder, divided
- 2¼ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- Garnish: crushed red pepper
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, 2 tablespoons hot sauce, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken thighs to mixture and stir to evenly coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small saucepan, bring honey to a gentle boil over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 tablespoon hot sauce, 1 teaspoon paprika, and red pepper. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325°.
- In a large shallow dish, whisk together flour, salt, remaining 1¼ teaspoons garlic powder, remaining 1¼ teaspoons onion powder, remaining 1¼ teaspoons paprika, and remaining 1¼ teaspoons black pepper. Remove chicken from marinade, letting excess drip off. Discard marinade. Dredge chicken in flour mixture. Let sit in flour mixture for 10 minutes. Remove from flour, shaking off excess.
- Working in batches, fry chicken until golden brown, crisp, and an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°, 10 to 15 minutes. Let drain on paper towels.
- Drizzle chicken with honey mixture. Garnish with red pepper. Serve hot.