Cornmeal-Crusted Fried Pickles
Write a review
- 8 cups or more canola oil
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1½ cups yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 4 cups garlic dill pickle slices, such as Wickles
- In a small heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, pour enough oil to fill halfway. Heat over medium-high heat to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, add buttermilk. In a shallow dish, combine cornmeal, flour, and 1 teaspoon salt. Working in batches, dip pickle slices into buttermilk, then into cornmeal mixture, tossing gently to coat.
- Fry in batches until golden brown, 2 or 3 minutes, adjusting heat if necessary. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/