This classic cornbread dressing is made with both cornbread and white bread, chicken broth, onion, celery, butter, eggs, and fresh herbs to achieve the ultimate holiday comfort dish.
Yield: approximately 10 servings
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 cups cubed day-old cornbread
- 5 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 2½-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, gently stir together onion mixture, breads, broth, 2 tablespoons melted butter, sage, parsley, salt, pepper, and eggs. Spoon into prepared dish. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Bake until lightly browned, approximately 40 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/