Funche de Coco (Coconut Grits)
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 cups chicken stock (see Note)
- 2 cups coconut milk, homemade or canned
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium-heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, combine stock and coconut milk, then slowly whisk in grits and salt until well incorporated.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer, lifting the lid to whisk often, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, adding more water or stock as needed until grits are creamy and thick.
- Stir in butter and season with pepper and more salt if needed.
- Note: You can easily substitute vegetable stock or water to make this dish vegetarian.
Note: You can easily substitute vegetable stock or water to make this dish vegetarian.
From Coconuts and Collards: Recipes and Stories from Puerto Rico to the Deep South by Von Diaz. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2018. Reprinted by permission of the University Press of Florida.