A trio of cozy spices adds warm flavor to this moist chocolate cake.
Chocolate Spice Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2½ cups cake flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 (12-ounce) bag bittersweet chocolate morsels
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- ½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- For cake: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cardamom, and ginger. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in sour cream. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 13 to 17 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting: In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate morselts and butter on medium in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until mixture is melted and smooth (about 1 minute total). Whisk to combine; let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cooled chocolate mixture and sour cream with a mixer at low speed until combined. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and salt, beating until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- For garnish: In a small bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, and cinnamon. Sift mixture over top of cake, if desired. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.