This Chicken and Black-Eyed Pea Stew is the perfect hearty dinner on a chilly night.
Chicken and Black-Eyed Pea Stew
Makes about 12 cups
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 4 (15.5-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Garnish: chopped green onion, chopped fresh thyme, ground black pepper
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium- high heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more.
- In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine onion mixture, chicken, peas, tomato, broth, thyme, bay leaves, paprika, salt, and peppers.
- Cover and cook on high 4 hours or until vegetables are tender, or on low 7 hours. Discard thyme and bay leaves. Stir in vinegar. Garnish servings with green onion, thyme, and pepper, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/