You don’t have to own a cookie press to enjoy the addictive flavors of these cheese straws. You can roll the dough flat, and cut it into thin strips.
Yield: approximately 4 dozen
Write a review
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, add flour, cheese, butter, salt, peppers, and paprika; pulse to combine. With food processor running, add milk in a slow steady stream until mixture forms a dough.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a star-shaped disk, pipe dough into long straight lines on prepared pans; cut into 4-inch pieces.
- Bake until lightly browned, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on pans on wire racks. Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.
- If you don’t have a cookie press, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness, and cut into 4x½-inch strips.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/