Filled with cherry and chocolate flavor, this cake is sure to please a crowd.
Cheerwine Poke Cake
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box devil’s food cake mix (We used Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake Mix)
- 1 cup Cheerwine soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped drained maraschino cherries
- 1 (3-ounce) box black cherry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, Cheerwine, eggs, and oil with a mixer at low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in cherries. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using a fork, poke holes in warm cake.
- In a medium bowl, combine gelatin and 1 cup boiling water, stirring until combined. Pour over cake. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours.
- In a large bowl, beat cream, confectioners’ sugar, and 1⁄2 cup cherry juice with a mixer at high speed just until stiff peaks form; spread over cake. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons cherry juice over frosting. Using the back of a spoon, swirl juice into frosting.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/