Cheerwine Ice Cream
Write a review
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Cheerwine soda
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- 5 egg yolks
- Pinch of salt
- In a large saucepan, bring cream, Cheerwine, and ¼ cup sugar just to a simmer over medium heat. Do not let mixture boil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ¼ cup sugar and egg yolks. Slowly whisk warm cream mixture into egg mixture; return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat, until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon or until temperature reaches 170° on a candy thermometer, approximately 6 minutes. Stir in salt. Transfer mixture to a bowl, and refrigerate until cold.
- Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. If a firmer texture is desired, transfer ice cream to an airtight container, and freeze until firm, approximately 2 hours. Store, covered, in freezer for up to 3 weeks.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/