Tomato pie is a Southern mainstay, and when the star ingredient is at its best, there’s no better suppertime treat.
Cheddar-Dill Tomato Pie
Yields: 1 (10-Inch) Pie
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon plain yellow cornmeal, divided
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup whole buttermilk
- 2½ pounds red tomatoes
- 1 pound green tomatoes
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup mayonnaise*
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded sharp yellow Cheddar cheese
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, ¼ cup cornmeal, and salt. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add egg and buttermilk in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For filling: Line 2 baking sheets with paper towels. Cut a ¼ -inch slice from top of each tomato. Using a small spoon, scoop out tomato seeds. Cut tomatoes into ¼ -inch-thick slices. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on prepared pans. Sprinkle both sides with 2 teaspoons salt. Let stand for 1 hour. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons dill, onion, pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. In another small bowl, combine cheeses.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Sprinkle bottom of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with remaining 1 teaspoon cornmeal.
- Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14-inch circle. Transfer to prepared skillet, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired.
- Arrange green tomato slices, overlapping slightly, in bottom of prepared crust. Spread with 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise mixture, and sprinkle with ⅓ cup cheese. Repeat with half of red tomato slices, 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise mixture,1/2 cup cheese, and remaining tomato slices.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Spread top of pie with remaining 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise mixture, and sprinkle with remaining ⅓ cup cheese. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes more, covering crust with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool on a wire rack for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons dill.
*We used Blue Plate Mayonnaise.