This Caribbean-inspired recipe is filled to the brim with flavor.
Beans and Coconut Rice
Makes about 6 servings.
- 1 cup dried pink beans *, sorted and rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 to 2 whole habanero peppers
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
- Lime wedges, sliced green onion, sliced Fresno peppers, and hot sauce, to serve
- In a medium Dutch oven, cover beans with water by 2 inches and let soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans. Return to pan. Add 3 cups water, coconut milk, onion, green onion, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, ginger, lime zest, and black pepper. On a piece of cheesecloth, place thyme, habanero peppers, and allspice berries, and tie with kitchen twine; add to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until beans are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Stir in rice and remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs, habanero peppers, and allspice berries in cheesecloth. Fluff rice with a fork. Serve with lime wedges, green onion, Fresno peppers, and hot sauce.
*We used Camellia Brand Pink Beans.