Brown sugar gives this cake a rich caramel flavor. Don’t worry if you don’t have a cast-iron Bundt pan in your collection. We also tested this recipe in a standard cast-aluminum Bundt pan, and the cook time and temperature are the exact same.
Caramel-Glazed Brown Sugar Bundt Cake
Makes about 12 servings
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°. Lightly coat a 10- to 15-cup cast-iron Bundt pan with butter. Sprinkle with flour, rotating to coat bottom and sides of pan. Using a pastry brush, remove excess flour.
- For cake: In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Add vanilla, beating just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Tap pan twice on counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For glaze: In a medium saucepan, bring brown sugar, butter, and salt to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
- Bring just to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/