Get all the elements of classic cabbage rolls with less effort thanks to this Cabbage Roll Casserole.
Cabbage Roll Casserole
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef (80/20)
- 1 pound mild Italian ground sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups cored chopped green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cornbread, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a Dutch oven, cook ground beef, sausage, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is browned and onions are tender. Drain and return beef mixture to pan. Add paprika, Italian seasoning, 1½ teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes
- Add Worcestershire, tomatoes, and tomato sauce, stirring well. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Add cooked rice and stir well. Remove from heat.
- In a separate large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add cabbage in batches, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon black pepper, stirring well. Cook until tender, 5 minutes. Add cabbage to beef mixture, stirring well to combine. Spoon cabbage mixture into a prepared dish. Top with cheese. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until cheese starts to brown and casserole is bubbling on the sides, 15 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with cornbread.