Make a double batch of these black-eyed peas, and store the leftovers in the refrigerator for a quick mid-week side dish.
Black-Eyed Peas with Tomatoes
Write a review
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 5 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped green onion, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving rendered bacon fat in pan.
- Add peas and 4 cups water to pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to reach a simmer. Add tomatoes, 1⁄2 cup green onion, and bay leaves. Cook 1 hour, or until peas are tender, adding more water, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with reserved bacon and remaining 2 tablespoons green onion.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/