A beautiful presentation of fresh spring vegetables, this gratin will be a hit at your next dinner.
Asparagus and Artichoke Gratin
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Write a review
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds asparagus, blanched
- 1 (15-ounce) can artichoke hearts packed in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallot; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in 1⁄2 cup cheese, salt, black pepper, zest, and red pepper. Add asparagus and artichokes, stirring to coat. Top with bread crumbs and remaining 1⁄4 cup cheese.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/