Blissfully easy, these bars star all the classic flavors of apple pie.
Apple Pie Blondies
Write a review
- 11⁄2 cups apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 21⁄2 cups firmly packed dark
- brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup all-vegetable shortening, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 21⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an 11x8-inch baking pan with baking spray with flour; line pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together apple, granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, melted shortening, eggs, and vanilla. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, baking powder, salt, and apple pie spice. Fold flour mixture into egg mixture. (Batter will be very thick.)
- Spread half of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle apples over batter. Drop teaspoonfuls of remaining batter over apples, and press with your fingertips. (Batter will spread during baking.)
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/