This dressing is full of fall flavor.
Apple and Sausage Cornbread Dressing
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 1 (8-ounce) package ground mild pork sausage
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2½ cups chopped leek
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 apples, diced
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 cups (1-inch cubes) day-old cornbread
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 11x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring frequently, until browned and crumbly. Using a slotted spoon, set sausage aside, reserving rendered fat in pan.
- Add butter, leek, and celery to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Add apple, pecans, sage, and pepper; cook until apple is tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread, sausage, apple mixture, eggs, and broth; gently fold together until well combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, until top is golden brown and dressing is firm to the touch, approximately 45 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/