Toasted until perfectly golden brown, marshmallows add a cozy campfire finish to these decadent layered sweet potato s’mores bars.
Sweet Potato S’mores Bars
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 1¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup finely ground pecans
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 (4-ounce) semisweet chocolate bars, such as Ghirardelli
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups cooked puréed sweet potato
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, pecans, melted butter, 2 tablespoons sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon salt until combined. Using the bottom of a measuring cup, firmly press mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake until light golden brown, approximately 12 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate in 30-second intervals until melted, stirring in between each interval. Stir in red pepper. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over cooled crust. Freeze until firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sweet potato, remaining ¾ cup sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, milk, eggs, and ginger until smooth. Pour sweet potato mixture over chocolate layer, smoothing top with an offset spatula.
- Bake until center is set, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Sprinkle evenly with marshmallows.
- Bake at 350° until marshmallows are lightly toasted, approximately 5 minutes. Cut into bars, and serve immediately.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/