Bursting with flavor, spring strawberries are the perfect fruit for brightening (and lightening) French toast. Almond milk provides a nutty-sweet custard base, which is perfumed with the eye opening aroma of fresh orange zest.
Yields: 6 servings
- 1 pint strawberries, halved
- 1 day-old baguette, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Buttered Honey (recipe follows)
- Garnish: toasted sliced almonds, confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 10-inch oven-proof skillet, arrange strawberries and bread slices as desired. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and sugar until smooth. Whisk in almond milk, 1 teaspoon zest, extracts, and salt until well combined. Pour mixture over strawberries and bread in skillet. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Bake until lightly browned and set, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon zest; brush with Buttered Honey. Garnish with almonds and confectioners’ sugar, if desired.