There’s a lot to love in this side dish that can feed a crowd.
Zippy Lentil Salad
Makes 10 Cups
- 2 (32-ounce) containers vegetable stock
- 2½ tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried lentils*, rinsed
- 2 cups chopped fresh collard greens
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped Castelvetrano olives
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¾ cup seeded and diced cucumber
- 1 (4-ounce) jar pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh chives
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium stockpot, bring stock and 1½ tablespoons salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Add lentils and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain lentils and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in collards and let cool completely.
- To bowl with cooled lentil mixture, add bell peppers, olives, red onion, cucumber, pimientos, lemon zest and juice, vinegar, oil, parsley, chives, remaining 1 tablespoon salt, and red pepper, tossing until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
*We used Camellia Brand lentils.