Zesty Lime Chicken and Rice
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 4 bone-in skinless chicken thighs
- 4 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 2½ teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 1½ cups long-grain rice, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- Garnish: lime wedges, fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle chicken with 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, reduce heat to medium. Working in batches, add chicken to skillet; cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Add onion to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add rice and garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Add broth, lime juice, and remaining ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 8 minutes. Remove from heat; arrange chicken in rice mixture. Cover with foil.
- Bake, until rice is tender and a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro, if desired.