With only 6 main ingredients, these hash browns are so easy to make.
Make-Ahead Tip: Boil the potatoes and store in the refrigerator up to 2 days before making these hash browns.
Yukon Gold and Apple Hash Browns
Yield: approximately 6 servings
Write a review
- 1 1⁄2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, add potatoes and water to cover by 2 inches; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until tender, 7 to 9 minutes. Drain.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add apple and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, approximately 3 minutes. Add potatoes, 11⁄2 teaspoons thyme, 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. (Reduce heat to medium, if necessary.) Sprinkle with remaining 11⁄2 teaspoons thyme and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/