An ode to the classic recipe out of Mobile, Alabama, our version adds a sweet and tangy bite with chunks of fresh mango.
West Indies Crab Salad
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup finely diced sweet onion
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped mango
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and picked free of shell
- 12 Bibb lettuce leaves
- Garnish: sliced green onion,
- crushed red pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, onions, lime zest and juice, sugar, salt, and red pepper. Slowly whisk in canola oil. Carefully fold in mango and crabmeat. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- For each serving, spoon ¼ cup of crab mixture into a lettuce leaf. Garnish with green onion and red pepper, if desired.