This salad will brighten up your summer.
Watermelon-Tomato Salad with Lemony Whipped Goat Cheese
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) log goat cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups watermelon, thinly sliced and cut into triangles, rind removed
- 2 pounds assorted fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 2 miniature cucumbers, halved lengthwise and then cut diagonally crosswise
- ¼ cup lightly packed torn fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh dill
- In a medium glass or nonreactive bowl, toss together onion, vinegar, oil, sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover and let stand until onion is softened, about 4 hours.
- In a medium bowl, combine goat cheese, chopped dill, milk, lemon zest and juice, pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- On a large platter, arrange watermelon, tomato, and cucumber. Top with onion mixture. Dollop goat cheese mixture over salad. Sprinkle with mint, torn dill, and additional salt and pepper. Serve immediately.