Watermelon Rind Pickles
Yield: 2 (1-pint) jars
Write a review
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 cups cubed peeled watermelon rind
- In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, 1 cup water, vinegar, lemon, mustard seeds, red pepper, salt, peppercorns, star anise, and cinnamon to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add watermelon rind; simmer until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove lemon and cinnamon, and discard.
- Divide watermelon rind evenly between jars; add vinegar mixture to cover. Seal jars, and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate 3 hours or up to 1 month.
- Kitchen Tip: Don’t have Champagne vinegar? Substitute white wine vinegar.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/