Sweet Vidalia onions balance the rich flavor of this creamy side dish.
Vidalia Onion and Potato Gratin
Makes About 8 Servings
- 1 large clove garlic, halved
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2½ pounds baking potatoes, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Rub the inside of a 13×9-inch baking dish with the cut side of garlic; rub pan with butter.
- In a medium saucepan, bring cream, onion, salt, and pepper to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer until onion is softened, about 12 minutes. Arrange half of potatoes in prepared pan; pour half of cream mixture over potatoes. Repeat layers once. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are tender and beginning to brown, about 30 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Increase oven temperature to broil.
- Broil on middle rack until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.