This Vegetable-Beef Stew is simmered down in a dutch oven for over 2 hours. Dry red wine enhances the flavor of the beef and vegetables.
Yield: approximately 8 servings
Write a review
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 3⁄4 cups beef broth
- 11⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- Place beef and flour in a resealable plastic bag. Seal bag, and shake vigorously to coat beef.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef, and cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, wine, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas, potato, carrot, celery, and mushrooms. Cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, approximately 30 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/