We combined two classic Southern cakes in this simple and sweet Upside-Down Hummingbird Cake, drizzled with Cream Cheese Glaze.
Upside-Down Hummingbird Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 2 (8-ounce) cans sliced pineapple rings in juice
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted and divided
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ⅔ cup toasted pecans, chopped and divided
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 large egg
- Cream Cheese Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray sides of a 9-inch square baking dish with baking spray with flour.
- Reserving 3 tablespoons juice, drain pineapple slices and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small stainless-steel skillet, heat ¼ cup melted butter over medium heat; stir in brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer; cook until sugar is melted and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Slowly add reserved 3 tablespoons pineapple juice, whisking until combined and smooth. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with ⅓ cup pecans. Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer over pecan mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, ginger, and nutmeg. Make a well in center of flour mixture. In a small bowl, stir together banana, remaining ½ cup melted butter, and egg. Add banana mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Fold in remaining ⅓ cup pecans. Gently spread batter over pineapple in pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Run a knife around sides of cake to loosen; carefully invert cake onto a serving plate. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle with Cream Cheese Glaze.