It’s just not summer in the South without tomato pie.
Ultimate Tomato Pie
Makes 1 (10-inch) deep-dish pie
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2½ pounds fresh heirloom tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons fine Italian-seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- Garnish: fresh thyme, ground black pepper
- In a 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove from skillet, and let drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until lightly browned around the edges, about 6 minutes. Spoon onion into a small bowl; let cool completely.
- Line 2 baking sheets with paper towels. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on prepared pans; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Pat tomatoes dry with additional paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll 1 piecrust. Lightly brush with 2 teaspoons water. Top with remaining piecrust. Roll piecrust into a 14-inch circle. Transfer dough to a 10-inch deep-dish pie dish, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim excess dough to ½-inch from edge of dish. Fold edges under and crimp as desired.
- Into bowl with onion, stir in Gruyère, 1 cup Cheddar, mayonnaise, thyme, pepper, egg, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Spread half of mayonnaise mixture in bottom of prepared crust. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons bread crumbs. Arrange half of tomatoes, overlapping slightly, on top. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining ½ cup Cheddar.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°. Loosely cover with foil, and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes more. Let cool for at least 2 hours on a wire rack. Sprinkle with bacon. Garnish with thyme and pepper, if desired.