From a brisket-bacon base to pimiento cheese and green tomato toppings, there’s no denying this burger has Southern roots.
Ultimate Southern Burgers
Yields: 6 servings
- Olive oil, for grilling
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds ground raw brisket
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Toasted brioche buns, thinly sliced green tomatoes, pimiento cheese, thinly sliced red onion, and cooked thick-cut bacon, to serve
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°). Brush grill grates with olive oil.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place bacon; process until almost ground. In a large bowl, stir together ground bacon, brisket, and salt. Divide mixture into 6 portions, and shape each portion into a patty.
- Grill patties, with grill lid closed, for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve burgers on buns with sliced green tomato, pimiento cheese, onion, and bacon.