Cooking your sandwiches with mayo ensures a crisp, golden toast.
The Ultimate Grilled Pimiento Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup diced pimientos, drained
- ¼ cup cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- Mayonnaise, for toasting
- In a small bowl, combine Cheddar cheeses, pimiento, cream cheese, ¼ cup mayonnaise, and hot sauce, stirring until just combined. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Spread ⅓ cup pimiento cheese mixture on one side of 4 slices bread and top with remaining 4 slices bread.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on both sides of sandwiches.
- Working in 2 batches in a large skillet, cook sandwiches over medium heat until golden brown and cheese is melted, pressing gently, about 2 minutes per side. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.