What we love about this genius recipe is the dough is made first, and various mix-ins are added later, so you can make three different cookie flavors at one time. You can substitute 1½ cups of your favorite add-ins, as well.
Yields: About 72
- ¾ cup salted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- Crunchy Monkey Mix-In (recipe follows)
- Candy-Pretzel Mix-In (recipe follows)
- Cranberry-Pistachio Mix-In (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 3 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat melted butter and sugars at medium speed until combined. Reduce mixer speed to medium-low. Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, beating until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. (Do not overmix.) Divide dough among three mixing bowls. Gently fold Crunchy Monkey Mix-In into one bowl. Repeat with remaining dough and Candy-Pretzel and Cranberry-Pistachio Mix-Ins. Using a 1-tablespoon scoop, drop dough at least 2 inches apart onto prepared pans.
- Bake, one batch at a time, until edges are just beginning to brown, 9 to 10 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. (Cookies may look underbaked, but this helps achieve a soft and chewy cookie.) Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Using a spatula, remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Repeat with remaining dough. Store in airtight containers for up to 3 days.