Nothing beats this creamy homemade mayonnaise slathered on white bread and topped with sun-ripe tomatoes.
Tomato Sandwiches with Homemade Mayonnaise
Yields: 2 cups
- 4 large pasteurized egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In the container of a blender, pulse egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard, and salt until combined. With blender running, gradually add 1 tablespoon canola oil, one drop at a time, until mixture begins to thicken.
- Gradually add remaining canola oil in a steady stream until thickened, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of container. (Add 1⁄4 cup water as needed to thin mayonnaise.) Spoon into a medium bowl. Cover, and refrigerate up to 1 week.