From an easy backyard barbecue appetizer to a crowd-pleasing starter for your fanciest summer soirées, these tasty bites are fit for any occasion.
Tomato Pie Canapés
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 (8-ounce) log goat cheese
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, cut crosswise into ⅛-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
- Garnish: flaked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll piecrust. Using a round 2-inch scalloped cutter dipped in flour, cut dough into 18 rounds. Place dough rounds 1 inch apart on sheet tray. Brush dough with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In the container of a blender, combine goat cheese, cream, onion powder, Italian herbs, and salt. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut one tip of resealable plastic bag and pipe about 1 tablespoon of goat cheese mixture in an even layer on cooled crusts. Place 2 tomato slices on top. Sprinkle with basil. Garnish with flaked sea salt, if desired. Serve immediately.