For a hearty breakfast, nothing beats this hash brown casserole made with Conecuh sausage, sharp Cheddar cheese, and spicy green chiles.
The Ultimate Hash Brown Casserole
Yield: approximately 6 servings
Write a review
- 4 cups diced smoked sausage, such as Conecuh
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned green chiles
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (30-ounce) package frozen hash browns, thawed (about 10 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Reserve rendered fat in pan.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and chiles to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Melt butter in pan. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add milk and broth, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, approximately 10 minutes. Add 3 cups cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together cheese mixture, pepper mixture, sausage, and hash browns until well combined. Spoon into prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake until browned and bubbly, 45 to 50 minutes. Store, covered, in refrigerator
- up to 3 days.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/