Some say you can tell what region a Southerner hails from solely based on their preference in barbecue. Every self-respecting Texan will tell you one thing: in the Lonestar state, brisket is king. Seasoned with just the right amount of salt and pepper, our Texas Style Beef Brisket is smoked to perfection.
- Mesquite wood chips
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 (9-pound) flat-cut beef brisket, fat trimmed to 1⁄8 inch
- Soak wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat smoker to 225° to 250°. Sprinkle soaked mesquite chips over coals.
- In a small bowl, combine salt and pepper. Spread rub over all sides of brisket. Place brisket, fat side up, in a disposable roasting pan. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Cook, with smoker lid closed, for 5 hours. Remove brisket from pan, discarding pan, and wrap brisket in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Return brisket to smoker, and cook, with smoker lid closed, until meat is very tender, 4 to 6 hours longer. Let stand for 30 minutes before slicing. Serve with the sauce of your choice.