GIFT THIS CASSEROLE
Bake casserole in a freezer-safe dish; let cool. Do not garnish. Wrap tightly in a double layer of foil, and freeze. To reheat, refrigerate until thawed, 1 to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake, covered, at 350° until heated through and an instant read thermometer inserted in center registers 165°.
- 1 pound ground mild pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 (28-ounce) bag extra-crispy frozen tater tots, thawed and divided
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers, divided
- 10 large eggs
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (7-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- Garnish: chopped green onion, ground black pepper
- Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add green onion; cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Spoon sausage mixture into prepared pan. Add 2 cups tater tots and 1½ cups cheese, stirring to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in pimientos. Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture. Arrange remaining tater tots over filling.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown and set and until a food thermometer inserted in center registers 160°, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 2 to 5 minutes more. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with green onion and pepper, if desired.