Sweet Potato and Turnip Gratin
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1∕8-inch slices
- 3 large turnips, peeled and cut into 1∕8-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 ½ cups shredded fontina cheese, divided
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°. Generously spray a 2 ½-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place a layer of potatoes, in a shingled fashion, in baking dish, followed by a layer of turnips. Season layers with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle layers with approximately ½ cup cheese and approximately 3 tablespoons cream. Repeat layers 3 more times.
- Bake with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove aluminum foil; sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese on potatoes. Bake, uncovered, until cheese is golden brown, approximately 15 minutes. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
- This dish can be assembled ahead and frozen. If frozen, thaw overnight in refrigerator and bake as directed.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/