Baked in garlic and thyme-infused cream, this Sweet Potato Gratin makes a satisfying side.
Sweet Potato Gratin
Makes about 8 servings
Write a review
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1⅓ cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2¾ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325°. Rub a shallow 11-inch baking dish with butter.
- In a medium saucepan, bring cream, garlic, thyme, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer until garlic is tender, 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, remaining 1½ teaspoons salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Layer potatoes in prepared pan. Pour cream mixture over potatoes. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with cheese. Increase oven to 400°. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes more. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South‘s December 2016 issue!