Satisfy all your Tex-Mex cravings with this hearty, flavorful casserole.
GIFT THIS CASSEROLE
Prepare casserole in a freezer-safe dish through step 5; let cool. Wrap tightly in a double layer of foil or plastic wrap, and freeze. To reheat, refrigerate until thawed, 1 to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake as directed in step 6 until heated through and an instant read thermometer inserted in center registers 165°.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3½ cups (½-inch) cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (8-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 3½ tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn kernels, thawed
- 18 (4-inch) corn tortillas
- 1½ cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- Sour cream and lime wedges, to serve
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
- Spray an 11×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a 12-inch stainless steel skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes; cook, stirring frequently, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer sweet potatoes to a medium bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, green chiles, taco seasoning, cilantro, and brown sugar; cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Reserve ½ cup sauce. Add sweet potatoes, beans, and corn to remaining sauce, stirring to combine.
- Layer 6 tortillas in prepared dish, overlapping if necessary. Top with half of sweet potato mixture and ½ cup cheese. Repeat layers once; cover with remaining 6 tortillas. Spread reserved ½ cup sauce over top of sweet potato mixture, and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese. Cover with foil.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake until bubbly, 5 to 10 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and lime wedges. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.