A richly flavored homemade steak sauce takes this tender brisket to the next level—no smoker required.
Sweet Chili Rub Brisket
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 (3-pound) beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1½ cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Steak Sauce (recipe follows), plus more to serve
- In a small bowl, stir together sugar, garlic powder, pepper, salt, chili powder, paprika, and thyme. Season brisket with spice mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add brisket; cook, turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, place brisket, broth, and Homemade Steak Sauce. Cover and cook on low until tender, about 8 hours. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional sauce.
Homemade Steak Sauce
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- ½ navel orange, juiced and rind reserved
- ⅔ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 5 tablespoons cane syrup
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small Dutch oven, bring all ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.