This bread is packed with fresh strawberry flavor—and it’s even better slathered with strawberry butter.
Strawberry Streusel Bread
Makes 1 (8x4-inch) loaf
Write a review
- 21⁄2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 21⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 300°. Spray an 8x4-inch cast-iron loaf pan with baking spray with flour.
- For batter: In a large bowl, mash strawberries using a potato masher. Add brown sugar, melted butter, and eggs, whisking to combine. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and zest. Add flour mixture to strawberry mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in lemon juice. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- For topping: In a small bowl, stir together melted butter, flour, brown sugar, almonds, salt, and cinnamon with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over batter, pressing gently.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and buttermilk until smooth. Drizzle over loaf.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
To make Strawberry Butter: In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup softened unsalted butter, 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar, 4 chopped fresh strawberries, and a pinch of kosher salt. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Serve at room temperature.