Have a spirited sunny season with this refreshing sip.
Makes 1 serving
- 1 sprig fresh mint
- 1 fresh strawberry, hulled and cut in half
- 1½ ounces vodka, gin, or white rum (optional)
- 1½ ounces Strawberry Shrub (recipe follows)
- 3 to 5 ounces sparkling mineral water,* chilled
- 1 lime wedge, to serve
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup white wine vinegar
- In a cocktail shaker, gently muddle mint sprig. Add strawberry; vodka, gin, or rum, if using; and Strawberry Shrub. Add ice. Cover and shake until cold. Strain into a glass filled with ice. Top with sparkling water. Serve with a lime wedge, squeezing juice over drink before serving.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 cup water and sugar to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Add strawberries, reduce to medium heat, and let simmer until strawberries are fragrant, deep red in color, and completely soft, 20 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a heatproof bowl or jar, stir in vinegar, and chill.
*We used Topo Chico sparkling mineral water.