Strawberry Custard Tart
- SHORTBREAD CRUST:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- CUSTARD FILLING:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 to 5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 11-inch round tart pan with baking spray with flour.
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour and confectioners’ sugar. Add butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For custard filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch. Add vanilla bean and reserved seeds and salt; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until custard simmers and thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; discard vanilla bean. Pour filling into prepared crust. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto surface of custard to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours.
- For topping: Place a row of strawberry slices down center of tart with tips slightly overlapping. Repeat procedure with next row of strawberry slices facing opposite direction. Repeat rows until entire tart is covered.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt preserves. Brush over strawberry slices.