If you can stand to give them away, these pretty Strawberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake loaves make delicious gifts.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Strawberry Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray 2 (7x5-inch) loaf pans with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternating with cream, beginning and ending with flour. Beat just until combined.
- Transfer half of batter to a medium bowl; set aside. Spoon one-third of remaining batter into 1 prepared pan. Place 1⁄4 cup Strawberry Sauce in center of batter. Repeat layers once; top with remaining one-third of batter. Using a wooden skewer, gently swirl batter. Repeat process in remaining pan with remaining batter and Strawberry Sauce. Tap pans against counter twice to release air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Yields: 1 cup
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse strawberries until smooth, approximately 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together puréed strawberries and sugar over medium-high heat. Whisk in cornstarch mixture. Bring mixture to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, approximately 1 minute.
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South’s May/June 2017 issue!