Garden-fresh berries and herbs make these goodies just the thing to serve this spring.
Strawberry-Basil Sweet Rolls
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm whole buttermilk (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup strawberry preserves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup sliced small fresh strawberries
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Strawberry Glaze (recipe follows)
- 1¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon strawberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, place 3 cups flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until crumbly; refrigerate.
- In another large bowl, whisk together remaining 3 cups flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, yeast, and baking soda. Stir in warm buttermilk just until combined. Let cool 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in butter mixture until dough forms. Knead dough until flour is fully incorporated. (Dough will be slightly sticky.)
- Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface. Roll into an 18×12-inch rectangle. Brush melted butter onto dough. Spread strawberry preserves onto butter, leaving a border on one long side. Sprinkle with basil. Starting at long side opposite border, gently roll up dough, jelly roll style; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down and shape log to 18 inches long and even thickness, if necessary. Using a serrated knife dipped in flour, cut dough into 12 (1½-inch-thick) slices. Turn slices, cut side up, and evenly place strawberry slices inside the swirls, with tips sticking out about ¼ inch. Place slices in prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 teaspoon water; brush egg wash on top of rolls.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Spread Strawberry Glaze onto rolls. Serve warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth.