Strawberries and Cream Icebox Cake
Write a review
- 1½ cups self-rising flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup strawberry syrup, such as Smucker’s Strawberry Syrup, divided
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1½ cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Add butter, milk, vanilla, and eggs. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer just until blended. Pour batter into prepared dish.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 23 minutes. Remove from oven. While cake is warm, pierce entire surface with a fork or wooden pick. Pour 3⁄4 cup strawberry syrup over cake. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, approximately 3 hours.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream, confectioners’ sugar, and sour cream. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Spread over cake; top with strawberries and pecans. Drizzle with remaining 1⁄4 cup strawberry syrup. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours, adding strawberry syrup just before serving.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/