Use the juiciest tomatoes you can find
to help create the delectable broth of
this comforting stewed okra.
Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
Yields: 6 servings
- 4 slices bacon
- ⅔ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh okra, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- Hot cooked rice, to serve
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add onion to skillet; cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add okra, tomatoes, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until okra is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and vinegar. Sprinkle with cooked bacon. Serve over hot cooked rice.