Searing this hearty steak in a cast-iron skillet gives it gorgeous color and a great crust.
Steak for Two
Makes 2 servings
- 1 (1.-inch-thick) rib-eye steak
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Garnish: flaked salt, fresh rosemary sprigs
- Rub steak with 2 tablespoons oil, and sprinkle with salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add steak; cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Place skillet in oven.
- Bake until desired degree of doneness is reached, about 20 minutes. Remove steak from skillet. Wipe skillet clean.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add asparagus, zucchini, garlic, and butter; cook until tender. Add rosemary and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Slice steak, and serve over vegetables. Garnish with flaked salt and rosemary, if desired.